A chiropractor is a healthcare professional. They try to reduce pain and ensure that the body of the affected person functions optimally. They are trained to diagnose neuromuscular disorders. After diagnosing the disorders, they treat them through manual adjustments and spinal manipulations. The work of chiropractors is to restore the normal mobility of the spine. One of the areas of expertise of chiropractors is Sciatica. A sciatica chiropractor is trained in treating sciatica pain through non-invasive surgeries and procedures.
A chiropractor for sciatica also tries to make the patients aware of the health care regime they should follow to be in good health. They educate them about exercise, diet, and how they should work so that their body does not get affected negatively, etc.
This blog will discuss Sciatica, its symptoms, causes, risk factors, and how a sciatica chiropractor is one of the best treatment options.
Sciatica: What Is It?
Sciatica refers to the pain which starts from the lower back and radiates to the hips, buttocks, and legs (both). It is caused by a part of the spinal nerve getting compressed or inflamed. It can get compressed for many reasons, such as spinal bone spur, herniated disc, etc.
The pain caused by Sciatica is generally severe. A sciatica chiropractor can treat it non-surgically in most cases, but a few people may require surgery.
Symptoms Of Sciatica
The symptoms of Sciatica may include the following-
- Pain that starts from your lower spine.
- The pain and discomfort travel through the buttocks to the legs.
- Discomfort in the nerves from the lower spine to the legs.
- Pain is generally severe.
- Muscle weakness.
- Numbness in the affected spot.
- It generally affects one side of the body.
- Loss of movement.
- Increase in pain due to movement.
- Burning sensation and tingling in the affected area.
- The pain extends to the foot sometimes.
- Loss of bowel control.
- Swelling and redness in the spine.
A sciatica chiropractor can help relieve these symptoms and improve the functionality of the affected area.
Causes Of Sciatica
Sciatica can be caused due to many reasons. A sciatica chiropractor can diagnose and tell you the exact cause of the problem. Some of the causes of Sciatica are-
- A herniated disc is one of the inducing factors of Sciatica. The discs act like a protective film for the spinal vertebrae and are like cushions to them. The disc has a gel-like center that can bulge due to pressure from vertebrae. When the lower back is affected by a herniated disc, it can affect the sciatic nerve negatively. You should immediately see a sciatica chiropractor in such a case.
- Another cause of Sciatica is the wearing off of the spine's vertebrae. Wearing off of the vertebrae leads to shortening the disc's height and causes the nerves' passageway to shrink and get narrower. The narrowing down of nerves' passageway is called spinal stenosis. It can hurt the sciatic nerve roots.
- One of the reasons for Sciatica is slipping down vertebrae. Due to slipping of the vertebra, it gets out of line. This displacement causes the nerve to narrow down. You should contact a sciatica chiropractor to get treated.
- With aging, bone spurs (bony projections) can form. Bone spurs can squeeze the nerves of the lower back. The squeezing of the nerves is called osteoarthritis.
- Among several reasons, one of the reasons for Sciatica is an injury to the sciatic nerves.
- There is a muscle in the buttocks called the piriformis muscle. This muscle gets tight and puts pressure on the sciatic nerve. It is a very rare neuromuscular disorder and is called piriformis syndrome. Sciatica chiropractor is competent enough to treat this condition.
- Another reason for Sciatica is cauda equina syndrome. It affects the nerves of the spinal cord. These nerves are located at the end of the spinal cord. This condition is uncommon and should not be taken lightly. Contact a sciatica chiropractor if you get severe pain in your legs or lose bladder control.
Risk Factors Associated With Sciatica
Following are the risk factors associated with Sciatica are-
- Age is one of the most common risk factors associated with Sciatica. Age-induced changes in the spine increase the risk.
- Obesity or being overweight also plays a role in increasing the risk factor associated with Sciatica. Being overweight increases the stress on the spine. A Sciatica chiropractor can educate you about exercises that can benefit you.
- Certain jobs require putting pressure on your back. Doing such a job for a longer period can increase the risk of Sciatica.
- People who sit for long hours and have an inactive lifestyle have more risk of Sciatica than those with an active lifestyle. You should take small breaks and do some stretching to reduce the risk.
- An injury to the lower back can also put you at risk of Sciatica. If your lower back gets hurt and you feel pain on the spot, then visit a sciatica chiropractor.
- If you have a weak core and lack strength in your backbone, you will be at a greater risk of Sciatica. It is very important to have a strong core for the health of your backbone. The core is the muscles in our backbone. They support our lower back. You can consult a sciatica chiropractor if you want proper care.
- If you go to the gym and do not maintain proper posture during workouts, you risk developing Sciatica. So make sure you do exercise in the correct posture.
- Diabetes also increases the chances of Sciatica. Diabetes also increases the chances of nerve damage. You can get advice on reducing the risk of Sciatica from a sciatica chiropractor.
- Smoking contributes to the wearing off of the vertebral discs. Nicotine can damage the nerves of the spine. It also makes bones weaker.
Can A Chiropractor Help With Sciatica?
People wonder, can a chiropractor help with Sciatica? A chiropractor is one of the best places to get treated for Sciatica. If you have sciatica pain and other associated symptoms, you can get yourself treated by a chiropractor to get relief and restore the normal functioning of your body.
You can visit a sciatica chiropractor without any referral.
They are trained and experienced in treating musculoskeletal issues. They can easily tell you the reason for your discomfort and will provide relief through their effective treatments. They provide risk-free manual treatments. They generally use heat applications, acupuncture, manipulation, and massages as the first line of treatment.
If you are searching for a sciatica chiropractor near me, choose an experienced and efficient one for proper treatment.
Chiropractors are a reliable and safe solution for Sciatica and several other musculoskeletal issues. If you are searching for a sciatica chiropractor, visit Realign Spine. We make use of chiropractic practice and physiotherapy to treat our patients. Moreover, it is easy to schedule and book an appointment with us through our website and email.
To make our patients comfortable and confident regarding the treatment, they are given complete information on treatment options, plans, and methods. Visit our website for a wide variety of chiropractic services. We offer treatment of disc herniation, arm, and leg numbness, chronic neck pain, sports and auto injuries, medical massages, etc.